Thank you for visiting my website!
My name is Dara Fay, practicing Speech-Language Therapist and owner of Communication Consultation Ltd. Working hand in hand with parents/families, I help my clients (children, teens and adults) meet their communication goals in my brand new clinic, at their homes or using online therapy (teletherapy).
It is my hope that this site will help aid you in making an important decision for your child. The decision to open your child’s world through the power of effective communication.
I have 28 years of experience helping clients of all ages become better communicators at home, at school and in their community. I believe in working together with families and other professionals (teachers, OT, PT, daycare workers, educational assistants) to create powerful changes in lives.
I completed my Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology at the University of Alberta. I am a certified member of Alberta’s Association of Private Practice Speech Language Pathologists (ASAPP), Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC) and Alberta’s College of Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA). I am also a certified authorizer for Alberta Aids to Daily Living for Augmentative and Alternative communication devices.
Over my years of practicing in the field, I have developed expertise and training in numerous areas.
Areas of Expertise
Articulation and Phonological Disorders
- Difficulty producing individual speech sounds
- Speech disorder characterized by patterns of error that are no longer age appropriate
Expressive and receptive language delays/disorders
- Difficulty in understanding what others say
- Difficulty in expressing one’s thoughts and ideas using words and sentences
Autism Spectrum Disorder
- A developmental disability characterized by difficulties in behavior, social skills and communication development
- A genetic condition that leads to health problems, developmental delays and learning disabilities.
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Communication devices, systems, strategies and tools that replace or support natural speech.
- Completing comprehensive assessments of children with complex communication needs.
- Knowledge of communication apps for iPads (Touch Chat, LAMP, Proloquo2go, Snap+Core First) and dedicated communication devices (Nova Chat and Accent).
- Training parents and staff in using AAC
Motor Speech Disorders
Includes Childhood Apraxia of Speech and Dysarthria
- A disorder of the motor planning of speech; a child is unable to figure out the motor plan for sounds even though the child knows what he or she wants to say
- A motor speech disorder caused by weakness of the muscles in the mouth, face, tongue, soft palate, or the respiratory system
- A group of neurological conditions that begin during childhood and may last throughout a person’s life. These conditions may cause impairment in physical, learning, communication, or behavior skills.
- Disruptions in the fluency of speech
- The knowledge children have about reading and writing before they can actually read and write. Early literacy development begins in infancy and progresses throughout the preschool years. It is essential for learning to read and write once in school.
- Attended Natalie Hale Literacy Program Workshop:“Meet Their Need & They Will Read”
- Therapy that focuses on helping babies and toddlers with disabilities or developmental delays learn skills that typically develop during the first three years of life.
- Children who are at risk of or experiencing developmental delays benefit significantly from early intervention therapy. Positive outcomes include language and communication, cognitive development, and physical health, providing a foundation for a lifetime of success!
It never hurts to keep looking for sunshine.Winnie The Pooh
Communication is the essence of life.Janice Light
The world needs different kinds of minds to work together.Dr. Temple Grandin
“You’re one choice away from changing your life.”